Date: March 7th, 2015
Venue: Wariseni @ Jalan Ampang
Time: 2pm – 6pm
In almost every society, women face expectations as to how they should behave, talk, and even think. What happens when we do not fit in expected labels?
The reality is, women come in all shapes and sizes. There is a diversity in how women think, talk and act. Often, we do not have control over how others label or treat us. However, together, we can create a community and support for those who face violence or discrimination because they do not fit in stereotypes roles or conform to societal expectations.
Take part in our wide array of interactive games and booths, take polaroid photos at our hashtag wall, and then grab this opportunity to watch performances from poets, singers, dancers and other female performing artistes to celebrate what it means to be a woman.
Join us and #DefineYourself
Please call Evie @ 03-7877-4221 if you have any questions.
AWAM’s Feminist Friday is back for its first session of the year!
Let’s gather and have a discussion about the topic “Adakah Dara Penting? / “Is Virginity Important?”
Details are as follows:
Date: 27 February 2015 (Friday)
Time: 7p.m. to 9p.m.
Venue: AWAM Centre (85, Jalan 21/1, Sea Park, 46300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor)
Light refreshments will be provided.
Kindly RSVP via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or calls (03 7877 4221) by Thursday, 26 October, 10:00a.m. We hope to see you there!
AWAM is looking for a talented new individual who is passionate about creating a just and equitable society to join our staff!
We would like to invite applications for the following vacancy:
Assistant Programme Officer
Click for full job description and application directions: AWAM Job Adv – APO GBV
1. Liaison Staff (Joint AWAM collaboration)
- Communications and coordination: Coordinate communications with a key partner organisation about AWAM’s work and women’s human rights situation in Malaysia. This includes coordination of joint training activities, and reporting on these activities.
2. Gender-Based Violence work
- GBV Committee: Assist in the coordination of the Gender Based Violence (GBV) Committee, including arrange for meetings and documenting meetings,
- GBV campaigns and events: Assist in the coordination and implementation of GBV campaigns and activities according to plans and budget, including event management, mobilising participation, making logistical arrangements, coordinating evaluations of workshops and following up with participants.
3. Public Education and Training work
- Public Education and Trainings: Assist in coordinating AWAM public education and training activities, including responses to external requests for trainings, contacting resource persons, and making logistical arrangements.
- Assist in the coordination of any other campaigns/events as necessary.
23rd – 25th January 2015
Location: Port Dickson
Registration Form: http://tinyurl.com/afcregistrationform
Katak di bawah tempurung no more! Exploring Feminism in Malaysia
Do you have a stirring to start a conversation about the things we don’t talk enough about? Perhaps its feminism, or equality, or how we treat marginalised members of our society. Whatever it may be, this is one conversation that you want to come to. Bring your issues, concerns and passions.
The RM150 fee includes transport, lodging and meals. Join us for a three-day two-night Feminist Camp as we discuss, talk, laugh, muse, ponder and cry our way through these issues.The fee is RM120 for those without an income.
You can also Sponsor-A-Participant for a pledged amount. We offer financial scholarships on a needs basis for this programme. For those who require financial assistance, please contact Yong Yi at 03 7877 4221 or e-mail training.programs.awam[@]gmail.com.
AWAM’s White Ribbon Campaign Run & Walk is back!
Violence is never a choice a man should make. This campaign aims to bring men and boys together to put an end to violence against women and girls. Join us and make a stand never to commit, condone or be silent when it comes to violence against women and girls today!
Stop the violence, break the silence.
7 December 2014 (Sunday) | 7:30AM (flag off) | Padang Merbok, KL | RM45.00 (registration)