“I don’t like that movie, it’s a chick flick.”
“Ew! Pink is so girly!”
“I don’t wear make up. I like being real.”
Heard statements like this before?
When we think of sexism, we often think about how external factors oppress women. However, we don’t realise the role that we ourselves may play in perpetuating sexist messages and stereotypes.
Can women be sexist to other women? How does it affect the way we perceive each other?
Join Tara and Evie on 19th August (Friday) 8.00 – 10.00 pm at AWAM Centre for an interactive and open discussion on internalised sexism and the ways in which we can address and deal with it.
RSVP to Yong Yi at gbv.programs.awam[at]gmail.com by 18 June 2016 (Thursday).
For a more conducive discussion, there will be a cut off time of 8.30pm. Light refreshments will be served.
The White Ribbon Public Forum is makes a SEQUEL! Last year, we talked about ‘Power, Privilege and Permission’, especially in the ways that social norms and structures place women in a vulnerable position to violence, abuse and discrimination.
This year, we will be talking about Gender-based Violence and Gender Equality. The UN coined the term ‘planet 50-50′ to talk about gender equality. Another statistic suggested that Gender INequality is costing the world economy trillions in USD. But the question that AWAM wants to discuss is: How does gender equality impact YOU?
To find out, join us at the the White Ribbon Public Forum:tinyurl.com/whiteribbonforum16
The 31st August and 16th September are important dates for Malaysians – these are the dates that we remember and celebrate our nation, and to reflect upon what it means to be citizens and members of a nation that was founded to be democratic, diversive, progressive, moderate and just.
However, our dreams of such a nation seem just that – a dream.
Are you tired of the spiraling state of this nation? Are you needing a deep, rich conversation with others like you who hold a feminist version of a just and truly democratic society?
AWAM’s Membership Development Committee is hosting a one-day Open Space event to create space for the sort of conversations you long to have.
Join us at the PJ Community Library on 20 August 2016, from 9AM to 5:30PM (Registration starts at 8:30AM) to engage in high-participatory conversations about The Malaysia Women Dream of.
Register before the 16th August 2016 @ tinyurl.com/awamost2016
AWAM would like to invite applications for the following vacancy:
Position: Finance & Admin Officer
Potential candidates should have knowledge and experience of standard employees’ statutory contributions and submissions. They must have a fair understanding and knowledge of regular practices of finance / book-keeping. The person must be people-centred, interested in gender/human and women’s rights issues, be able to work independently and interact easily at all levels.
Responsible for the day-to-day running of the office and ensuring that finance and admin activities are carried out in line with the AWAM’s office guidelines.
1. Provide assistance to the Treasurer in the administration of AWAM funds.
2. Preparing and submitting relevant financial reports and analysis to the Treasurer/ Working Collective/ Finance Committee.
3. Maintain AWAM’s accounts, including proper recording of all financial transactions (book keeping on Microsoft Excel), proper filing of supporting documents and preparation for annual audits.
4. Ensure timely banking-in of all cash and cheques.
5. Ensure timely payment of all bills e.g. statutory payments, salaries, utilities, etc. and ensure there is proper approval for expenditures.
6. Manage the petty cash, bank accounts and fixed deposit accounts.
7. Implement and maintain AWAM’s Financial Guidelines
- Ensure that statutory requirements (e.g., PCB, EPF, SOCSO, Borong E, Borang EA, etc.) are adhered to and submitted in a timely manner.
- Ensure the submission of relevant documents to the Registrar of Societies (ROS).
- Ensuring that major organizational events such as the Annual General Meeting and Evaluation and Planning meetings are held on time.
- Disseminating AWAM correspondence (emails, letters and faxes) to relevant parties.
- Ensure proper maintenance and inventory of office equipment and assets.
- Responsible for the day-to-day logistics of the AWAM Centre.
- Assist the Senior Manager and Human Resource Committee in implementing decisions pertaining to office administration and finance.
- Offer administrative support to the different programme areas.
Candidates who have worked with non-governmental organisations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary will commensurate with experience.
How to apply:
Please send us:
(1) a resume; and
(2) a cover letter, which includes a short paragraph stating why you want to work with AWAM.
Send the above application by 22nd July 2016 to Lee Wei San, Senior Programme Manager. Email: email@example.com with the subject heading: Application for position of Finance & Admin Officer. Tel: 03 – 7877 4221 (www.awam.org.my).
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified.