Feminist Pop Quiz by beng hui
1. What do Clara Zetkin, Alexandra Kollantai and Rosa Luxemburg have in common?
A. They were Marxists who fought for women workers rights in the early 20th century.
B. They were fashion designers who spoke up for plus-sized models.
C. They were women soldiers who fought in World War II.
2. What was the name of the first leftist women’s political wing in Malaysia?
A. National Council of Women’s Organizations (NCWO)
B. Angkatan Wanita Sedar (AWAS)
C. Joint Action Group (JAG)
3. Name three pioneer women freedom fighters in Malaysia.
A. Shamsiah Fakeh, Sakinah Junid, Khatijah Sidek
B. Marina Mahathir, Nicol David, Cecilia Ng
C. Drew Barrymore, Cameron Diaz, Lucy Liu
4. I was an iconic feminist film in the 1990s. My two leading protagonists have since gone on to have further success in Hollywood. What film was I and why was I famous?
A. My Best Friend’s Wedding and I was a film that highlighted positive competition between women in order to gain the attention of men.
B. Thelma & Louise and I was the first mainstream movie that became a Hollywood hit featuring women who refused to live lives dictated by men.
C. Death Becomes Her and I portrayed women as not just beautiful sex objects but people with feelings.
5. During the pre-colonial times, there were four queens who ruled the kingdom of Patani. Name them. Hint: They were colourful.
A. Hijau, Hitam, Putih, Kuning
B. Biru, Ungu, Hitam, Putih
C. Hijau, Biru, Ungu, Kuning
6. I am a very successful tennis player and have won more grand slam titles than any other male tennis star. Who am I?
A. Serena Williams
B. Chan Chin-Wei
C. Martina Navratilova
7. Who won the Yayori Award in 2011?
A. Masumi Sakoh
B. Tahira Firdous
C. Saraswathy Muthu
8. Which state in Malaysia has set up the equivalent of a state women’s ministry?
9. Which public university offers a gender studies course in Malaysia?
A. Universiti Teknologi MARA
B. Universiti Malaya
C. Universiti Putra Malaysia
10. When was the article in the Federal Constitution that upholds women’s right to non-discrimination amended?
11. I am an activity that many women perform for free at home, but when men do the same in the public sphere, they get paid for it. What am I?
A. Ballroom dancing
1. A 2. B 3. A 4. B 5. C 6. C 7. C 8. A 9. B 10. C 11. Bbeng hui was involved in the original team that produced the WAVES newsletter of AWAM. She is happy that there is a brand new team at the helm of e- WAVES. Click here for the full publication and other articles.